Studieinfo emne PHVIT9200 2021 HØST
PHVIT9200 Kvalitative metoder Emneplan
This course is based on PHVIT9100, Health Sciences II: Philosophy of Science, Research Ethics and Research Methodology. The course takes a critical perspective of key methodological traditions in qualitative research, focusing particularly on phenomenology, hermeneutics, and discourse analysis. Topics covered include research design, research interviews and different forms of interviewing methods, and observation as a research method. Emphasis is placed on the application of advanced strategies for analysing complex data material within the respective research traditions.
On completion of the course, the PhD candidate has achieved the following learning outcomes, defined in terms of knowledge, skills, and general competence:
The PhD candidate:
- is at the forefront of knowledge in selected qualitative research designs and their theoretical basis, and related methodological considerations
- has in-depth knowledge and understanding of interviews and observation as methodological research tools in the phenomenological, hermeneutic, and discourse-analytic research traditions
- can evaluate the usefulness of different forms of analysis, interpretation, and documentation within the relevant traditions
The PhD candidate can:
- plan a health science research project with relevant qualitative designs and methods
- analyse, interpret, and disseminate the results of qualitative research
- address complex scientific issues and challenge established knowledge and practice in qualitative methodology
The PhD candidate can:
- argue in favour of particular qualitative approaches on the basis of scientific theory
- identify relevant ethical issues and conduct research based on qualitative methodology with professional integrity
participate in discussions on qualitative methodology
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Work and teaching methods consist of lectures, seminars, self-study, practical exercises in pilot interviews, and analysis of authentic interviews and observation notes. The outcomes of the seminars are presented and discussed in plenary sessions.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual home examination based on specific questions. To be submitted no more than 2 weeks after the end of the course. Answer papers must consist of up to 3,500 words.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Pass / Fail
One internal and one external examiner will assess the answer papers submitted by all candidates.
The course can also be offered to students who have been admitted to the "Health Science Research Programme, 60 ECTS", by prior approval from the supervisor and based on given guidelines for the research programme.