Studieinfo emne PHVIT9100 2021 HØST
PHVIT9100 Helsevitenskap II: Vitenskapsteori, forskningsetikk og forskningsmetodologi Emneplan
This course covers key theoretical and ethical issues in health science research. A presentation is also given of the key methods in the design of qualitative and quantitative research and of mixed methods research. The course also covers different types of strategy for qualitative and quantitative analysis. The course contributes to critical thinking about methodological issues and gives a broad methodological basis for assessing research strategies in the candidate's own project. Emphasis is also placed on how research problems, choice of design, challenges regarding measurements, use of statistical models, and qualitative analysis models are evaluated. Legislation and systems governing the control and supervision of health research and data protection are other topics covered in the course.
On completion of the course, the PhD candidate has achieved the following learning outcomes, defined in terms of knowledge, skills, and general competence:
The PhD candidate
- can critically assess different scientific theories in the health sciences
- can assess the usefulness of using qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methodologies in research processes in the health sciences
- has a command of the key principles of qualitative and quantitative methods of analysis
The PhD candidate can
- articulate research problems, and plan and make methodological decisions in his or her own doctoral work
- identify ethical issues and address them on the basis of established principles of ethical research
- critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of health science research projects
- address requirements in the Health Research Act and the Personal Data Act governing research activities
The PhD candidate can
- participate in debates on theoretical, ethical and methodological issues in the health sciences
- assess different research practices in the health sciences from theoretical and methodological perspectives
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Work and teaching methods consist of lectures, seminars, and self-study. The outcomes of the seminars are presented and discussed in plenary sessions.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual home examination based on specific questions. To be submitted no more than 2 weeks after the end of the course. Answer papers must consist of up to 5,000 words.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Pass / Fail
One internal and one external examiner will assess the answer papers submitted by all candidates.
The course can also be offered to students who have been admitted to the "Health Science Research Programme, 60 ECTS", by prior approval from the supervisor and based on given guidelines for the research programme.