Studieinfo emne MABY5060 2022 HØST
MABY5060 Managing Infrastructure Projects Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Managing Infrastructure Projects
Master's Degree Programme in Structural Engineering and Building Technology
- 10 stp.
Road and railways are the most common transport infrastructure systems and can transform lives, businesses, and communities. This course aims to provide students with an understanding of the complexities involved with infrastructure projects ,and particularly road and railway projects, and the tools required for delivering the project and its wider benefits originally envisaged - on time and on budget and within scope. It also covers a wide range of skill-sets and knowledge areas needed during the life cycle of infrastructure projects in order to ensure successful delivery and at the same time enabling them to make decisions and take actions based on the best interest of society, public safety, and the environment.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has sufficiently advanced knowledge of large complex project life cycle (From feasibility to closure) and the complexities involved with managing such projects to be able to develop and propose innovative solutions to potential project problems.
- is capable of identifying and analyzing project risks and possibilities in addition to developing suitable responses to potential risks.
- has advanced insight into the contracting and procurement process for road and railway projects.
- has specialised knowledge of the positive and negative impacts of such projects on the society and environment and utilize appropriate methodologies to measure, model and calculate such impacts and estimate the costs associated with these impacts to obtain a sustainable project outcome.
- has clear understanding of the benefit management process to ensure the realization of intended benefits of road and railway projects.
The student is capable of:
- analytically criticizing and justifying the various project concepts and objectives to the wider stakeholder group.
- demonstrating clear understanding of the governance framework, aligning the project objectives with the higher level strategic corporate objectives.
- explaining relevant regulatory requirements and policies under which the project operates.
- handling the complex cultural aspects of the project supply network.
- demonstrating excellent managerial capabilities aimed at effectively managing project performance
- demonstrating understanding of the importance of leadership qualities and organizational culture awareness in large complex project settings.
- generating and managing high performance teams.
The student is capable of:
- using scholarly articles and published case studies to keep up with latest developments in the field.
- working in teams and managing their own and their team's workload.
- presenting results in a scholarly, professional manner with the help of written reports and oral presentations.
- communicating internally within the organization and externally with the society and participating in evidence-based public debate on the project outcomes and potential benefits.
- use of relevant tools for project management (JIRA, Miro, MS Project, Primavera, etc.)
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The teaching will largely consist of lectures and group activities. Students will also be given a project assignment in which they are to work in groups to analyze a case project and apply the learnings from the course to address the issues involved in the case project. Voluntary exercises related to the project assignment will be given in connection with each lecture.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam consist of two parts:
Part 1) Project report approx 60 pages prepared in student groups (2-3 students), weighted 80%.
Part 2) Oral examination and presentation in student groups (2-3 students) and examination of the project report, weighted 20%.
All assessment parts must be awarded a pass grade (E or better) in order for the student to pass the course.
Assessment parts: 1) can be appealed, 2) cannot be appealed
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All types of materials and equipment are allowed.
Grade scale A-F
1) Two internal examiner,
2) Two internal examiners
External examiners are used regularly.