Studieinfo emne MABY5030 2022 HØST
MABY5030 Advanced Pavement Design and Rehabilitation Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Advanced Pavement Design and Rehabilitation
Master's Degree Programme in Structural Engineering and Building Technology
- 10 stp.
This course will cover two important aspects of flexible pavements. The first part is mainly concerned with theories and procedures for determining fundamental properties of asphalt materials for material evaluation and pavement design, with topics like mechanistic flexible pavement design, advanced material characterization, deterioration mechanisms and performance prediction.
The second part covers pavement management and rehabilitation. Topics include: network and project level management, pavement distress surveys, non-destructive testing for condition measurements, maintenance and rehabilitation strategies and life cycle cost considerations.
No formal requirements over and above the admission requirements. But it is recommended that the candidate has taken the following OsloMet undergraduate courses or equivalent:
- BYVEXXXX Vei- og jernbaneteknikk
- BYVEXXXX Geoteknikk
- BYVEXXXX Teknisk Infratruktur
- BYVEXXXX Samferdsel
Upon completing the course, the student should have the following outcomes, defined in terms of knowledge, skills, and general competence.
Upon successfully completion of the course, the student has gained knowledge to:
- understand principles of construction, maintenance, and rehabilitation of flexible pavements
- explain failure modes/mechanisms in flexible pavements
- describe the characterization and mechanical properties of asphalt binder, agregates and asphalt mixtures
- understand Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Cost of pavements
Upon successfully completion of the course, the student can:
- apply advanced theoretical and integrated practical knowledge in pavement design and analysis for flexible pavements
- use the basics of Mechanistic-Empirical pavement design
- perform mechanistic based analyses of pavement structures.
- gain insight and understanding of asphalt material properties, how they are affected by the environment, and ultimately how they influence the pavement's structural capacity
- assess key performance indicators for various pavements and determine maintenance and rehabilitation options.
- apply management techniques to improve the life-cycle and reduce the cost of pavements
- use condition and risk based maintenance and rehabilitation methods to extend the useful life of pavements
- integrate the use of reclaimed asphalt pavement and second hand material in flexible pavements
Upon successfully completion of the course, the student is able to:
- critically evaluate the connection between performance specifications and transportation asset management
- reflect on and synthesise complex concepts and theories in the use of Life Cycle Cost Analysis to evaluate pavement design options and in the application of Pavement Management System to plan maintenance actions
- perform sustainable material choices for different pavement layers/elements
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures, exercises and project work in groups
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following required coursework must be approved before a student can take the exam:
Two project milestone meetings with teachers and eventual any external stakeholders
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam consist of two parts:
Part 1 Individual written exam of three hours, which counts 70 %.
Part 2 Project work in groups of two to three students. Both report and work process, are considered which counts 30 %.
Both parts of the examination must be graded pass/E or better in order to pass the course.
Exam part 1) The exam can be appealed.
Exam part 2) The exam can be appealed.
In case of a new and postponed individual written examination, an oral examination form may be used. If an oral examination is applied for a new and postponed examination, this cannot be appealed.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Part 1: A calculator that cannot be used to communicate with others
Part 2: All documents and equipment must be approved by the teacher
Graded scale A-F
Part 1 One internal examiner
Part 2 Two internal examiners
External examiners will be used with regular intervals.