Studieinfo emne MABY4800 2022 HØST
MABY4800 Innovation in steel and concrete Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Innovation in steel and concrete
Master's Degree Programme in Structural Engineering and Building Technology
- 10 stp.
This course will focus on advanced materials and their key strength and durability properties, as well as their future outlook for improving the sustainability and resilience of structures. Lessons developed for this course will cover a wide range of high-performance steel and concrete construction materials developed for buildings and bridges. Further to detailed discussions on the performance and pros/cons of such materials, this course will deliver in-depth knowledge of their main physical, chemical, mechanical, and thermal properties.
While the traditional curricula primarily cover only conventional concrete and steel materials for building and bridge applications, the current course provides a state-of-the-art knowledge of the advanced concrete and steel materials, including high-strength concrete, ultra-high-performance concrete, and fiber-reinforced concrete, as well as high-strength and corrosion-resistant steel. By completing this course, the students will be inspired to consider innovative applications of high-performance concrete and steel materials in their future research investigations and/or industry endeavors.
No formal requirements over and above the admission requirements.
No formal requirements.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has state-of-the-art knowledge of the application of different types of advanced concrete and steel materials such as high-performance concrete and steel
- has in-depth knowledge to select the optimal material in a construction
- has knowledge to design structures with innovative material
- has in-depth knowledge of physical, chemical, mechanical, and thermal properties of innovative concrete and steel materials
- has knowledge about the effect of application of innovative materials on the life cycle of structures
- has knowledge about the environmental impact of using innovative materials.
- is capable of conducting experimental tests on standard specimens using different types of innovative concrete
- is capable of conducting experimental tests on standard specimens using different types of innovative steel
- can assess the needs and propose the optimum innovative materials for certain design cases
- can describe the difference between conventional and innovative steel and concrete in different context
- can carry out the basics of life cycle analysis.
The student is able to:
- design structures with innovative materials.
- reduce the environmental impact of constructional materials
- assess the need for the application of advanced steel and concrete
- using scoping review of scientific articles/reports to gain an overview of the latest developments in advanced steel and concrete
- characterize the properties of high-performance concrete and steel materials.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The teaching consists of lectures and exercises. In addition, the students will carry out a project assignment. The project assignment shall be presented in the form of a scholarly report.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam consist of two parts:
Part 1) Oral exam, individual or in groups up to 3 students, weighted 40%
Part 2) Project report, prepared individually or by groups up to 3 students, approx. 20-35 pages, weighted 60%.
All assessment parts must be awarded a pass grade (E or better) in order for the student to pass the course. Students must be awarded an E or better on their project report to be allowed to take the oral exam.
Assessment part 1) cannot be appealed and part 2) can be appealed.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
1) Oral Exam: No aid is permitted.
2) Project Report: All aids are permitted.
Graded scale: A-F
Two internal examiners. External sensor is used regularly.
Mahdi Kioumarsi and Katalin Vertes