Studieinfo emne FARB1060 2021 HØST
Emneplan forFARB1060 Kunnskapsbasert praksis (KBP) i helsetjenesten
This joint course is developed for all the Bachelor programmes at the Faculty of Health Sciences which are part of RETHOS (National guidelines for the Health and Social Studies), and is considered as an introductory course, preferably taken during the first part of the study programme.
In this course, starting with relatable examples, students will learn about the rationale for evidence-based practice (EBP) and its Core Competencies: Ask, Acquire, Appraise and Interpret, Apply, and Evaluate. Areas of focus are critical thinking (e.g. asking critical questions about health claims and the sources of claims), and shared decision-making. The course provides a foundation for learning and applying more advanced and field-specific skills.
The student must have been admitted to the study programme.
On successful completion of the course, the student has acquired the following learning outcomes classified as knowledge, skills and competence:
- can define what EBP is and recognizes the rationale for EBP and shared decision making
- knows the steps of EBP
- is familiar with the levels in the S-pyramid and acknowledges the difference between single studies and systematic reviews
- knows the characteristics of a scientific article, e.g. IMRAD
- can explain the purpose and characteristics of qualitative and quantitative studies and syntheses of studies, e.g. systematic reviews
- understands the principles for critical appraisal and knows how to use check lists for different study designs, clinical guidelines and professional procedures
- knows different types of categorical and continuous measures of association and effect, and key graphical presentations
- can identify different types of professional/clinical questions, such as questions about treatment, diagnosis, prognosis, experiences and etiology
- can, for each type of clinical question, identify the preferred order of study designs
- can formulate searchable professional/clinical questions using e.g. PICO
- and variations of PICO
- can construct and carry out an appropriate and simple search strategy for professional/clinical questions from the top of the S-pyramid
- can critically assess health claims in the media
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The teaching is mainly designed with "flipped classroom" and learning activities in class and smaller groups. Digital learning resources such as digital lectures, videos and films will be available to the students in advance. Students are recommended to use these resources and to be prepared before the lectures and the seminars.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following must have been approved in order for the student to take the exam:
- participate in at least 2 of 4 seminars
The students are recommended to participate at the seminar where they present the exam group projects.
Vurdering og eksamen
Project examination, consisting of a group assignment with up to 5 students, based on a case with a health claim in the media. The assignment will include the levels of the EBP model. The assignment is submitted as a written paper of 1500 words (+/- 10 prosent) according to further specified criteria.
Each group decides whether their assignment is to be submitted in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Resit exam: If the assignment is given the grade Fail, the group can submit a revised version once.
If this attempt fails, the group is entitled to a third and final attempt. In a third attempt, the group must choose a new health claim and submit a new examination paper.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All aids are permitted, as long as the rules for source referencing are complied with.
Pass/Fail. The same grade is given for all students in the Group.
One external and one internal examiner will assess at least 10 percent of the assignments. To internal examiners will assess the remaining assignments. The external examiner’s assessment shall benefit all the students.
The course has 5 ECTS of overlapping content towards BIO1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, ERGOB1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, FYB1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, RAD1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, SYKK1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, SYKP1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, TAB1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, FARB1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, PMED1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care, ORI1060 Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) in Health Care.