Studieinfo emne BIBV3060 2021 HØST
BIBV3060 Themes in Library, Archives and Museums: An Exploration of Practice Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Themes in Library, Archives and Museums: An Exploration of Practice
Bachelorstudium i arkivvitenskap / Bachelorstudium i bibliotek- og informasjonsvitenskap
- 10 stp.
This course is based on a series of visits to libraries, archives or museums that is related to a selected theme within one or more of the respective fields and that leads to the compilation of a written project report. Students select a theme of interest in consultation with the course supervisor. The selected theme will serve as the focus of the visits. Students may select themes related to services and programming, policies and guidelines, collections, knowledge organization and management practices, universal design, dissemination practices as well as current issues and other matters relevant to the institutions. The visits can be to libraries, archives or museums, or a combination of the institutions. Other information and culture institutions may be included if relevant to the topic. Students shall compile a reading list of 800 pages related to the selected theme.
The language of the course is dependent upon the students and can be in English or Norwegian.
- has knowledge of the pertinent literature and scholarly research concerning the selected theme
- has familiarity with the related legal and policy documents related to the theme
- has determined relevant concepts, models and/or theories related to the theme
- has awareness and understanding of ethical considerations related to the theme
- has insight to current practices at libraries or other information and culture-disseminating organizations related to the theme
- can apply the skills and knowledge from their previous courses in Library and Information Science
- can search for, synthesize, critically analyze and correctly reference source material(s)
- can critically assess the connection between theory, policy and practice related to a selected theme within the field of libraries and librarianship or archival studies
- can initiate, organize, carry out and communicate a project
- can plan, write and complete a project report to an academic standard
- can communicate professionally and coordinate with professionals in the field
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The course is based on independent study.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Vurdering og eksamen
The final assessment is a written report based on their conclusions. The report can be written individually or in a group of two students.
The length should be of 30,000-40,000 characters including spacing (Font and font size: Arial/ Calibri 12pkt. Line spacing: 1.5). The final report may include non-textual materials (e.g., photographs and other visual materials). Non-textual materials should be attached to the report as appendixes.
Candidates who do not receive a passing grade on the project report can resubmit the report once.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All utilities allowed as long as the rules for source reference are followed.
Grading scale A-F.
The examination is assessed by an internal and an external examiner. The external examiner grades a random sample consisting of approx. 25 per cent of the exams. The grades given for this sample provide a basis for internal examiners who will be grading the other exams.