Studieinfo emne BALH3000 2023 HØST
BALH3000 Organizational Behavior and Leadership Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Organizational Behavior and Leadership
Bachelorstudium i administrasjon og ledelse i offentlig virksomhet / Årsstudium i organisasjon og ledelse / Oslo Business School, Exchange Programme
- 10 stp.
How and why do individual employees and groups of employees behave the way they do within an organizational setting? How do leaders achieve the best outcomes for their organizations? Organizational behavior and leadership theories address these questions and their possible answers from different angles. Such theories aim to understand, explain and improve attitudes of individuals and groups in organizations. This understanding is important for the facilitation of positive individual, group, and organizational functioning, success and competitive advantage. This course addresses these issues and is an introduction to psychological theory in an occupational perspective.
Students who participate in this course will acquire knowledge about how different psychological factors affect human behavior in organizations. An overview of contemporary research based knowledge and the most important topics, concepts, and contributions within this field is provided.
Language of instruction is English.
After completing the course, the student should have the following overall learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The students will obtain
- a basic understanding of contemporary research based knowledge in organizational behavior and leadership. They will also become familiar with the most important topics, concepts, and contributions, which include:
- individual differences and diversity
- attitudes and decision making
- perceptions and learning
- motivation and team processes
- leadership and organizational culture
The students will be able to
- critically examine and use different theoretical approaches and perspectives from the subject area to understand and analyze challenges and dilemmas relating to human behavior in organizations
- use knowledge from organizational behavior and leadership theories as well as empirical evidence when making and implementing decisions in organizations
- write a term paper clear and concise
The students will
- be able to communicate and discuss the major theories and research findings from this field, orally and in writing.
- acquire skills in critical reflection on the subject area's possibilities and limitations.
- convey knowledge through presentation and discussion.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Various work methods will be used such as lectures, discussions about current issues, and assignments. A focus will be on learning how to write academic term papers. The students are expected to work on assignments both individually and in groups outside of the joint lectures.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following coursework requirements must have been approved in order for the student to take the exam:
- Coursework 1: The students are required to, in groups of 2-5 people, give an oral presentation of a research paper. For the presentation, the time allocated for each article or case is about 20 minutes including class discussion. The presentation will be evaluated on content, critical reflection and discussion, presentation style, and one discussion question to be presented for class discussions.
The goal of the coursework is for students to familiarize themselves with research articles in the field and gain experience in presenting in front of a group.
All required coursework must be completed and approved by the given deadline in order for the student to take the exam. If the coursework requirements has not been approved, the student will be given the opportunity to submit an improved version one time by the given deadline.
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam in the course is a semester paper written in groups of 3-4 students. The paper must have a scope of 4000-6000 words. Students receive feedback on their topic choice and on a first draft in a mandatory feedback session during the semester. Font and font size: Arial / Calibri 12 points. Line spacing: 1.5.
The term paper must be written in English.
Students awarded a fail grade are given one opportunity to submit an improved version of the assignment for assessment.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All aids are permitted, as long as the rules for source referencing are complied with.
Grade scale A-F
The exam papers are assessed by one internal and one external examiner.
At least 25% of the exam papers will be assessed by two examiners. The grades awarded for the papers assessed by two examiners form the basis for determining the level for all the exam papers.