Studieinfo emne ØASPR3000 2023 HØST
ØASPR3000 International Business Communication Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- International Business Communication
Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon / Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon, for siv.øk.
- 7.5 stp.
IBC is an advanced English course which builds on the course Professional English. The main purpose of the course is to further develop the students' knowledge and skills in English so that they can use the language professionally at an advanced level, especially with a view to international operations. The course is cross-curricular since a large part of the syllabus is related to subjects within business and economics. It will prepare the students to deal with real and complex situations in the business world.
Language of instruction is English.
IBC is an advanced English course which builds on the course Professional English. A large part of the syllabus is related to topics in International Business and International Economics.
After completing the course, the student should have the following overall learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has an extensive vocabulary in economic/financial English
- knows the main points of grammar necessary for correct and idiomatic usage of the English language at an advanced level
- has knowledge of various cross-curricular business topics
- has knowledge of international relations, e.g. the EU, WTO, NATO and US foreign policy
- has knowledge of several issues in the international world of business and the world economy, including the economies of China and Japan
- has knowledge about globalization and its effects
- has knowledge about various business cultures
- is familiar with some works of fiction in English
- can write professional and academic texts in English at an advanced level
- can speak fluently about a wide range of business topics and various aspects of international cooperation, economies and business cultures
- can interact well in a number of professional business situations involving people from different business cultures
- The student can understand spoken and written English used in a business context
- can use a wide range of professional vocabulary in oral and written contexts
- is able to discuss, analyse and reflect on various issues in English
- The student has developed his/her practical problem-solving skills
- has further developed his/her communicative competence in English, which includes linguistic, intercultural and strategic competencies
- can function well in a wide range of professional situations internationally
- can adapt to new situations and requirements abroad
- can apply his/her skills and knowledge of business English
- can understand English language curricula and lectures in other subjects well
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The pedagogical approach includes:
- Lectures, group work, discussions and case studies
- Written and oral assignments
- Assignment review in class
- Student talks/presentations
- Independent study
Regular attendance and active participation in classroom activities are expected.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following coursework requirements must have been approved in order for the student to take the exam:
- Coursework 1: An individually written text analysis of approximately 2 pages
- Coursework 2: An individually written essay of approximately 1000 words + footnotes and bibliography
- Coursework 3: A 7-minute oral presentation, in groups of 2-3 students
- Coursework 4: Participation in obligatory case which consists of group work and an oral presentation of 7 minutes
Feedback will be given on all assignments.
The purpose of these assignments is to give the students practice in writing and speaking English at an advanced level and prepare them for the written and oral exams in IBC.
All required coursework must be completed and approved by the given deadline in order for the student to take the exam. If one or more coursework requirements have not been approved, the student will be given the opportunity to submit an improved version by the given deadline.
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam in the course consists of two parts: an individual written supervised exam and oral exam.
1) Individual written supervised exam (5 hours) consisting of three parts:
- a Norwegian-English translation
- a text for comprehension and analysis, and questions from the syllabus in English for Business Studies
- an essay on a topic from international politics, economy or culture
2) Oral exam (25 minutes) consisting of:
- a 7-minute presentation of an individually chosen topic on a current political, social or economic issue (PowerPoint allowed, but no manuscript)
- questioning on a topic drawn from international politics, economy or culture
- discussion of works of fiction
The student gets two separate grades, one for the written and one for the oral exam, and the exams can be taken again separately. The written exam counts 53% of the final grade and the oral exam counts 47%.
Both exams must be passed in order to pass the course.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
The following aids are permitted for the individual written supervised exam:
Only one ordinary English-English dictionary, for instance Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
No aids are permitted for the oral exam.
Grade scale A - F
Both the exam papers and the oral exam are assessed by one internal and one external examiner.
Sigrid Brevik Wangsness