Studieinfo emne ØASPR2000 2023 HØST
ØASPR2000 Professional English Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Professional English
Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon / Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon, for siv.øk. / Oslo Business School, Exchange Programme
- 7.5 stp.
The main purpose of the course is to improve the students' ability to communicate in English both in writing and orally in a professional business context. The course is cross-curricular since a large part of the syllabus is related to subjects within business and economics. It will prepare the students to deal with real situations in the business world. The course is organized around three main areas: British and American finance and economies, internal business communication and external business communication.
Language of instruction is English.
Exam in English from upper secondary school or equivalent knowledge of English. A large part of the syllabus is related to subjects within business and economics. The level of the course is B2 according to the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR).
After completing the course, the student should have the following overall learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has a wide vocabulary in economic/administrative English
- knows the main oral and written genres of business communication
- knows the main points of grammar necessary for correct and idiomatic usage of the English language
- has knowledge of various cross-curricular business topics
- has knowledge about the British and American economies and business worlds
- is familiar with some works of fiction and other genres in English
- can write professional English for academic and business purposes
- can speak English in a formal and correct manner
- can deal with professional situations in the business world
- can accommodate speakers from various linguistic and cultural backgrounds
- can understand spoken and written English used in a business context
- can use professional vocabulary in oral and written contexts
- can discuss, analyse and reflect on various issues and texts in English
- has developed their practical problem-solving skills
- has developed their communicative competence in English, which includes linguistic, intercultural and strategic competencies
- can function well in most professional situations internationally
- can apply their skills and knowledge of business English
- can understand English language curricula and lectures in other subjects better
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
In addition to lectures there are case studies, group work, assignment review, discussions, student presentations, and written assignments. Regular attendance and active participation in classroom activities are expected. Independent study is required.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following coursework requirements must have been approved in order for the student to take the exam:
- Participation in one formal meeting based on a case
- An oral presentation in pairs, 8-10 minutes
- An individual formal report based on one of the cases (attendance is mandatory for the case the student writes about)
- An individual formal email on an assigned topic
Feedback will be given on all assignments. The aim of the coursework requirements is for the students to develop oral and written skills through practice.
All required coursework must be completed and approved by the given deadline in order for the student to take the exam. If one or more coursework requirements have not been approved, the student will be given one opportunity to submit an improved version by the given deadline.
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam in the course consists of two parts:
1) An individual and supervised written 5-hour exam, and
2) A combined group/individual oral exam. There is first a case-based business meeting carried out by a group consisting of 2-3 people (10-15 minutes), followed by an individual examination (5-7 minutes per student).
The student receives two separate and individual grades, one for the written and one for the oral exam, and the exams can be taken again separately. The written exam counts 53% of the final grade and the oral exam counts 47%.
Both exams must be passed in order to pass the course.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
The following aids are permitted for the supervised 5-hour exam:
- Dictionary (English-English), for example Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
No aids are allowed for the oral exam.
Grade scale A - F
The exam papers are assessed by one internal and one external examiner.
At least 25% of the exam papers will be assessed by two examiners. The grades awarded for the papers assessed by two examiners form the basis for determining the level for all the exam papers.
The oral exam will be assessed by two examiners.