Studieinfo emne ØABED3800 2023 HØST
ØABED3800 Derivater Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon / Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon, for siv.øk.
- 7.5 stp.
The market for financial derivatives is one of the biggest in the world. The most important derivative securities are forwards, futures, options, and swaps. Derivatives are central instruments for companies when they deal with risk. This subject focuses on how companies and other institutions can reduce risk by using derivatives contracts.
Language of instruction is English.
After completing the course, the student should have the following overall learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has a wide knowledge of markets, trading and valuation of forwards, futures, options and swap contracts.
- is aware of the theories behind valuation models such as Cost of carry for futures and Binominal and Black-Scholes for options.
- has knowledge about how valuation models such as Cost of carry for futures and Binominal and Black-Scholes for options can be used for analyzing new problems.
The student can
- use existing theories and methods in derivatives pricing.
- reflect over own independent work on practical problems in valuing and trading derivatives contracts.
- use valuation models such as Cost of carry for futures and Binominal and Black-Scholes for options independently.
- is aware of the development and innovation of the use of derivatives contracts.
- can exchange own views on the use of derivatives contracts.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The course is taught in lectures.
The teaching is coordinated with ØABED4200.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following coursework requirements must have been approved in order for the student to take the exam:
- Coursework 1: Futures
- Coursework 2: Swaps
- Coursework 3: Options
All of the coursework requirements are submissions of approximately 2-3 pages, written individually.
All required coursework must be completed and approved by the given deadline in order for the student to take the exam. If one or more coursework requirements have not been approved, the student will be given one opportunity to submit an improved version by the given deadline.
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam in the course is a supervised exam of 4 hours.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
The following aids are permitted:
- Calculator (see regulations for the use of calculators in the programme description)
- One dictionary (either first language-English/English-first language or English/English)
Grade scale A - F
The exam papers are assessed by one internal and one external examiner.
At least 25% of the exam papers will be assessed by two examiners. The grades awarded for the papers assessed by two examiners form the basis for determining the level for all the exam papers.