Studieinfo emne ØABED2300 2023 HØST
ØABED2300 The Economics of Banking Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- The Economics of Banking
Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon / Bachelorstudium i økonomi og administrasjon, for siv.øk.
- 7.5 stp.
In this course we will study the role of commercial and investment banks in a country like Norway. As highlighted by the recent financial crisis, a well-functioning banking system is crucial for any modern economy and a crisis in the banking sector can have widespread consequences. We will first address questions like: why do we have banks? What is the role of banks? We will then turn our attention to the ways banks are managed. Finally, the course will cover recent trends in the banking industry.
Language of instruction is English.
After completing the course, the student should have the following overall learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has broad knowledge of important topics, theories, tools and methods relating to: The economic incentives of banks and the management of banks
- is familiar with research related to the recent trends in banking
- can update his/her knowledge in the field
- can apply academic knowledge and relevant results of research to practical and theoretical problems relating to the regulation and management of banks
- can reflect upon his/her own academic practice and adjust it under supervision
- can find, evaluate and refer to information and scholarly subject matter
- masters relevant scholarly tools and techniques needed for modern risk management in the banking industry
- can communicate important academic subject matters such as theories, problems and solutions related to the banking industry, and the management of banks
- can exchange opinions and experiences with others with a background in the field of banking
- is familiar with new thinking about the functioning of the banking industry
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
In class, the course includes:
- Frontal lectures
- Time for students to work in groups on assigned problems
At home, the course requires that the student:
- Work alone or in small groups on non-graded assignments
- Self study
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
No coursework requirements or compulsory activities
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam in the course is a supervised exam of 4 hours.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
The following aids are permitted:
- One dictionary: Native language-English/English-native language or English-English
Grade scale A - F
The exam papers are assessed by one internal and one external examiner.
At least 25% of the exam papers will be assessed by two examiners. The grades awarded for the papers assessed by two examiners form the basis for determining the level for all the exam papers.