Emneplan forPHBA8220 Complexity, science and society
General admission requirements for the Ph.D. Degree in Behavior Analysis.
Students will be able to:
- describe the scope and ambition of the complexity research field, and point to practical applications
- describe and discuss the essential concepts and research methods in complexity research. (Concepts include emergence, complexity, networks, self-organization, pattern formation, evolution and co-evolution, adaptation, chaos, cooperation, competition, interdependence, scaling, dynamic response, information and function. Methods include statistical methods, agent-based modeling, system dynamics and cultural analysis.)
- place their own research project in a complexity context
Complexity; emergence; self-organization; pattern formation; selection, adaptation and evolution; co-operation and competition; game theory; co-evolving systems; systems dynamics; cultural analysis - ethics, methodical issues - ethics
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The course consists of 1 introductory meeting, and 6 - 12 seminars of 4 x 45 minutes, and time for discussion and a final seminar (4 x 45 minutes). The introductory meeting takes place 2 weeks ahead of the main part of the course. At this meeting, the structure, content and purpose of the course are presented. The students are asked to give short presentations of their Ph.D. projects, and describe how the course is relevant to it. The main purpose of this early session is to help the students to start systematic work with the course readings.
The seminars target central themes from the course readings for discussion and reflection. A high level of student participation is expected. During this time, students will produce several reaction papers (3 - 4 pages double spaced), and a final presentation of one central theme from the course. Themes are assigned by the lecturers. The final seminar consists of a discussion of the presentations, which are distributed in advance as papers not to exceed 10 pages double spaced, and introduced by each candidate in a short (3 minute) session. Course teachers mediate the discussions.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
- All papers approved,
- attendance in at least 80 % of the seminars, and
- approved paper presentation in final seminar.
Vurdering og eksamen
Portfolio requirements: 4 reaction papers
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Pass / Fail
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Complexity, science and society
- 10 stp.