Studieinfo emne PHBA8210 2020 HØST
PHBA8210 Learning and complex behavior: Advanced concepts - research and application Emneplan
General admission requirements for the Ph.D. Degree in Behavior Analysis
Students will be able to:
- describe and discuss essential concepts of behavior analysis, including the research methods of choice for investigating them
- describe and discuss the rationale for single-case research designs
- describe and discuss the radical behaviorist position on verbal behavior
- describe and discuss the radical behaviorist position on motivation
- describe and discuss the radical behaviorist position on selection on three levels outline strategies for investigating complex behavioral phenomena
- discuss the interpretation and integration of knowledge from other branches of behavioral sciences with behavior-analytic data
Principles of behavior, behavioral research, verbal behavior, motivation, selectionist sciences, complex behavior, integration of analytical units
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The course consists of 1 introductory meeting, and 6 - 12 seminars of 4 x 45 minutes, and time for discussion and a final seminar (4 x 45 minutes). The introductory meeting takes place 2 weeks ahead of the main part of the course. At this meeting, the structure, content and purpose of the course are presented. The students are asked to give short presentations of their Ph.D. projects, and describe how the course is relevant to it. The main purpose of this early session is to help the students to start systematic work with the course readings.
The seminars target central themes from the course readings for discussion and reflection. A high level of student participation is expected. During this time, students will produce several reaction papers (3 - 4 pages double spaced), and a final presentation of one central theme from the course. Themes are assigned by the lecturers.
The final seminar consists of a discussion of the presentations, which are distributed in advance as papers not to exceed 10 pages double spaced, and introduced by each candidate in a short (3 minute) session. Course teachers mediate the discussions.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
- All papers approved,
- attendance in at least 80 % of the seminars, and
- approved paper presentation in final seminar.
Vurdering og eksamen
Portfolio requirements: 4 reaction papers
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Pass / Fail