Studieinfo emne MATS1600 2021 HØST
Emneplan forMATS1600 Mekanisk design
Today, mechanical design is conducted using various digital engineering tools. In this course you will be gaining an understanding of different engineering design philosophies. Besides this you will also comprehend how failure prevention is the fundamental concept behind all mechanical design activity. Furthermore, you will use knowledge and skills from traditional mechanical subjects together with digital engineering tools to design mechanical parts, components and products. This course offers a right balance of theoretical concepts coupled with practical application and hands-on 3D modelling training.
The course builds on MAPE1300 Mechanics.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- understands the basic principle of engineering design and stress analysis.
- is familiar with failure theories and failure modes.
- is familiar with the systematic work involved in designing parts, and assembling the parts together to form components and products.
- knows the production documentation requirements.
- knows the rules for machine drawing.
- is familiar in using industrial standards and codes for designing mechanical parts
- understands the basic theoretical background of stress analysis and is able to perform simple stress analysis using FEA tools.
- is aware of various design tools and resources.
The student is capable of:
- digitally modelling parts, components and products, and generating correct detailed drawings and assembly drawings based on the digital models.
- carrying out simple stress calculations.
- constructing and dimensioning common machine parts and components such as welds, shafts, and simple shafting/transmissions.
- carrying out simple fatigue calculations for the machine parts.
- conducting simple finite element analysis.
The student must:
- be able to use Inventor to design engineering components and perform simple stress analysis.
- be capable of performing simple stress calculations for engineering components.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures, lab exercises, project work and assignments. Group lectures based on digital engineering tools, lectures and laboratory work.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
8 of 10 compulsory assignments must be approved.
The coursework must be approved before the student can take the exam.
The tasks are delivered in Canvas.
The following coursework is compulsory and must be approved before the student can take the exam:
- a compulsory measurement laboratory workshop
Vurdering og eksamen
An individual report (word limit 3000-4000) based on a case study from Mechanical Engineering.
The exam result can be appealed. In the event of a resit or rescheduled exam, an oral examination may be used instead. In case an oral exam is used, the examination result cannot be appealed
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All aids are permitted.
Grade scale A-F.
One internal examiner. External examiners are used regularly.