Studieinfo emne MAPD5900 2023 HØST
MAPD5900 Master's Project in Product Design Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Master's Project in Product Design
Masterstudium i produktdesign – design for kompleksitet
- 30 stp.
The Master`s Project in Product Design is a comprehensive and independent practical and theoretical in-depth piece of work where the student(s) choose a relevant research question to explore. The students should demonstrate insights, analytical thinking and critical reflection towards existing and own design practice and research, theories within the field of study and methods found relevant to apply within the overall frames of the study.
The chosen topic for the master´s project should be explored in a way that acknowledge and cope with its discovered complexity. The work should carry out sustainable and argued design concepts or results which contributes to develop the field of product design.
Completion of all courses from the first three semesters of the master's programme.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- is knowledgeable about the field of product design, its potential and development, nature and place in society
- has in-depth knowledge of the chosen research topic with a through grounding in the fields of design
- has in-depth knowledge about and know how to use different design methods and/or scientific methods in an ethical way
- can plan and carry out a comprehensive independent and limited research project
- can facilitate and lead creative activities as part of a design process
- can collect, analyze and critically reflect and discuss relevant sources of information
- is capable to justify, argue and reflect on decisions adequately and competently
- is capable to communicate well-argued and documented findings and results through text, visualizations and products
- can argue and explain the results societal positions within the chosen field of study
- is capable to relate their design process to professional research ethics and sustainable value creation
- can apply knowledge and skills to new areas
- is capable to critically reflect upon their process and role in relation to achievement and results
- is capable to collaborate and involve resource persons in their research
- project execution based on practice and theory
- physical and visual communication
- academic writing skills
- design methods
- data collecting methods
- design of a product
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The most important teaching and learning methods for this course are individual work, group work and individual and group tutoring. Students are encouraged to form colloquia groups and establish collaborations with external resource persons and communities. There will be arranged workshops and/or seminars during the course period.
The master`s project can be carried out individually or through collaboration between 2 or 3 students.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following work requirements must be approved in order to be qualified for the exam:
- approved project description mid-January
- one reflection paper
- a visual poster which communicates the overall master`s project and content to IPD`s Digital Archive.
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual portfolio examination, followed by an oral examination. The master's project portfolio consists of:
- a digital written and visual assignment (between 80-120 pages)
- design process documentation: original ang physical sketches, maps, posters, models, mockups etc.
- a product (physical-, digital- or system-oriented)
The examination result at the portfolio examination can be appealed.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Grade scale A-F.
The portfolio exam is given a temporary grade. The oral examination may adjust the final grade up or down a grade. In order to take the oral exam the portfolio examination must have been given a passing grade.
One internal and one external examiner.