Studieinfo emne MAPD4210 2020 HØST
Emneplan forMAPD4210 Design and Culture
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Design and Culture
Høst: Masterstudium i produktdesign – design for kompleksitet
- 10 stp.
Design is widely acknowledged as an increasingly interdisciplinary and complex field; designers take solving complex social and cultural issues as their domain. Issues concerning strategic planning, collaborative, participatory and human centred design require designers to adapt a broad, humanistic point of view. The aim of the course is to make design students aware of the relevance of knowledge of cultural values and meanings, and their impact on design. The course introduces strategies for integrating social responsibility, critical thinking and the use of ethnographic, generative and other design research methods for fostering awareness, reflexivity, criticality and empathy.
Admission to the Master's programme.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved advanced level in the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student has:
- knowledge about culture and its role, both from a personal and professional perspective
- knowledge of central cultural terms and cultural values
- attained knowledge on methods that involve human interactions and interaction between people and Products
- has a good understanding for how reflexivity, criticality and empathy works as crucial factors in informed design practises
The student is able to:
- reflect critically on the role of design in a cultural context
- challenge established perspectives and norms in the field
- integrate cultural perspectives into the development of a product.
- use aesthetic methods and strategies to develop products
- use visual, materialized as well as verbal articulation to give non-verbal data meaning
- interweave different forms of knowledges from experiences and theory
The student has a developed understanding for:
- the relevance of knowledge of cultural values and meanings, and their impact on design
- sustainable responsibility and autonomy for cultural issues in design
- design in a cultural context
- cultural practices and cultural values.
- methods for creative designprocesses
- critical reflection, discussions and writing related to the theme and own professional work
- pitching your own design/research projects in the context of the course
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures, workshops, discussions, presentations, self-study, practical work and tutoring.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following required coursework must be approved before the student can take the exam:
- written project description (design pitch) with a defined research aim 500-700 words.
- presentation to fellow students and teachers (10 minutes)
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual or group portfolio examination. The portfolio consists of:
- Poster - visualisation of the essence of the project, (optional a concise and integrated text)
- Product in optional media.
- Research-based design project/proposal 1500 -2500 words.
The examination result can be appealed
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
A grading scale of A (highest) to F (lowest) where A to E is a pass grade and F is a fail grade
Two internal examiners. External examiner is used periodically.