Studieinfo emne MAPD4000 2023 HØST
MAPD4000 Philosophy of Science and Design Research Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Philosophy of Science and Design Research
Masterstudium i produktdesign – design for kompleksitet
- 10 stp.
Design has evolved into a discipline that aims to make a positive impact in many different aspects of nature and society. As a result, designers find themselves in increasingly cross-disciplinary and multimodal environments, where they need to discover, investigate, define problems, and support claims based on evidence gained through universal scientific and academic practices. In this course, students will gain the ability to conduct scientific design research and develop an understanding of its relevance to practice.
Admission to the Master's programme.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student has knowledge of
- the philosophical underpinnings of scientific research
- various theories and methods in science and design research
- ethical implications of scientific and professional work
The student is able to
- plan and complete their own research projects
- identify, discuss and evaluate relevant research theories and methods
- integrate academic scientific methods and coherence in practice based and creative research
- write articles according to universal academic standards
- has a developed understanding of academic and practical design research and its relevance to practice
- History and philosophy of science
- Scientific research methods
- Ethics in research and professional work
- Research by design
- Studio workshop experiments
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The most important teaching and learning methods for this course are lectures, seminars, group work, self-study, studio work and tutoring.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following required coursework must be approved before the student can take the exam:
- Attendance of minimum 80%
- 2 milestone deliverables (oral presentation and/or written)
- One written assignment (2500 - 4000 words)
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual or group assignment, consisting of:
- Individual written home examination, 2500 - 4000 words long, or in accordance with specifications set by a publication channel of the student's choice
- Students can choose to work in groups, but must submit 1 (one) written assignment per student
- Language: English after discussion with course leader in Norwegian
The examination result can be appealed.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All aids allowed
Grade scale A-F
Two internal. External examiner is used periodically.