Studieinfo emne BALH3100 2023 HØST
BALH3100 Strategic Human Resource Management Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Strategic Human Resource Management
Bachelorstudium i administrasjon og ledelse i offentlig virksomhet / Årsstudium i organisasjon og ledelse / Oslo Business School, Exchange Programme
- 10 stp.
This course is an introduction to Strategic HRM (Human Resource Management). HRM is critical for the survival of all types of organizations. Strategic HRM includes all activities concerning managing people and work within a company. Good leadership of human resources promotes effectiveness and profits organizations. This course introduces basic theories relevant for HRM, specifically focusing on core activities such as recruitment, performance management, human resource development and the employee-organization relationship. This course also introduces evaluation tools and methods used within the HR field. Strategic HRM will both be discussed and analyzed on an international and national level, with specific issues such as international recruitment and diversity management at the fore.
Language of instruction is English.
After completing the course, the student should have the following overall learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student has
- broad knowledge about the strategic significance of HRM
- broad knowledge concerning relevant HRM activities, specifically recruitment, performance management and human resource development
- insight into the different stages within the recruitment process starting from job analysis to hiring procedures
- knowledge about systems and methods for performance management and human resource development in organizations
- insight into the significance of equal opportunity, managing diversity and international recruitment
- insight into how national culture may affect HRM practices
- knowledge about methods commonly used to measure human resource and performance development
- knowledge about how to conduct employee appraisals and how to utilize appraisals for career development
The student can
- prepare a job analysis and plan the different steps of a recruitment process
- interpret different tests commonly used to measure human resource and performance development
- actively contribute to the implementation, follow-up and conclusion of a recruitment process
- use relevant methods to analyze human resource needs of an organization
- use relevant methods to follow-up employees regarding performance and competence development
The student has
- understanding of ethical issues regarding recruitment processes, performance management and career development
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Teaching methods will include lectures, group work and case studies.
Students will have the opportunity to work on their group term paper throughout the semester.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
No coursework requirements or compulsory activities.
Vurdering og eksamen
The exam in the course is a term paper written in groups (min. 2 students per group). The term paper must have a scope of 8 pages. The term paper must be written in English. Font and font size: Arial / Calibri 12 points. Line spacing: 1.5
Students awarded a fail grade are given one opportunity to submit an improved version of the assignment for assessment.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All aids are permitted, as long as the rules for source referencing are complied with.
Grade scale A-F
The exam papers are assessed by one internal and one external examiner.
At least 25% of the exam papers will be assessed by two examiners. The grades awarded for the papers assessed by two examiners form the basis for determining the level for all the exam papers.