Studieinfo emne ACIT4630 2022 HØST
ACIT4630 Advanced Machine Learning and Deep Learning Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Advanced Machine Learning and Deep Learning
Master's Degree Programme in Applied Computer and Information Technology
- 10 stp.
This course provides a broad introduction to machine learning (ML), which includes supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning, and deep learning (DL) that can be used in different application domains. Students will learn both theories and practices in ML and DL. Moreover, students will learn from studying, presenting, and discussing relevant research articles and expose themselves to research by doing a research project.
- Bachelor level knowledge in linear algebra, vector calculus, and basic statistics, and probability is important for understanding some of the concepts in this course.
- Knowledge and skills in programming, particularly Python, and machine learning frameworks such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow, and Keras.
No formal requirements over and above the admission requirements.
On successful completion of the course, students should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills, and general competence.
- is knowledgeable about supervised, unsupervised, reinforcement learning
- has a good understanding of the principles of state-of-the-art deep neural networks such as CNN, RNN, Transformer, GAN, RL.
- has a good understanding of both theoretical and practical know-how required to use machine learning and deep learning methods effectively
- can build, train, test, and deploy machine learning and deep learning models
- is able to analyze machine learning methods in regard to their performance and effectiveness
- is able to use existing deep learning networks, improve and/or customize them to apply to new problems
- has both theoretical and practical understanding of machine learning and deep learning methods
- can discuss relevance, strength, and limitations of machine learning and deep learning in solving real-world problems
- is able to work on relevant research projects
This course covers the fundamental principles of machine learning and deep learning methods and best practices in solving problems effectively. Most of the problems are related and applicable in many areas such as computer vision, surveillance, assistive technology, medical imaging, etc. Therefore, the course intends to provide case studies and examples of ML and DL in solving various problems. Students can explore the tremendous potential of modern AI, ML, and DL methods and techniques in solving problems in different application domains through project work.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The course consists of lectures, assignments, group consultations, presentation seminars, and project work. In the seminars, students will present and also actively participate in other presentations. This will facilitate research-oriented education in the field. Research projects will be aimed at cultivating the students towards good future researchers.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following required coursework must be approved before the student can take the exam:
- Two oral presentations (one on a given topic, one on the topic of own choice)
- Participate as a prepared opponent/discussant in two presenations from other students
Vurdering og eksamen
Exam in two parts:
- A group project: implementation and report (about 7000 words). A group of 2-3 students will be formed during the course.
- Individual oral exam (about 30 minutes).
Each of them carries 50% weight in the final grade. The oral examination cannot be appealed.
Both exams must be passed in order to pass the course.
In case of failed exam or legal absence, the student may apply for a new or postponed exam. New or postponed exams are offered within a reasonable time span following the regular exam. The student is responsible for applying for a new/postponed exam within the time limits set by OsloMet. The Regulations for new or postponed examinations are available in Regulations relating to studies and examinations at OsloMet.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
All aids are permitted for the project report.
No aids are permitted for the oral exam.
Grade scale A-F.
Two internal examiners. External examiner is used periodically.
Associate Professor Raju Shrestha