Studieinfo emne ACIT4430 2023 HØST
ACIT4430 Infrastructure Services and Operations Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- Infrastructure Services and Operations
Master's Programme in Applied Computer and Information Technology
- 10 stp.
This course provides an overview of the most common services and components found in IT infrastructures in medium- to enterprise-sized organizations and businesses. The services are focused around the internal functioning of the IT department such as backup, logging and configuration management as well as inventory and directory systems.
The course is organized around weekly practical labs and lectures that complement each other. The student will get hands-on experience with the technologies as well as a holistic perspective on IT infrastructures.
No formal requirements over and above the admission requirements.
The student should have the following outcomes upon completing the course:
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should have:
- advanced knowledge of how system administration and operations facilitate organizations
- advanced knowledge of the terms and terminology used when system administration interfaces with an organization
- advanced knowledge of processes applied to system administration in order to facilitate requests from other parts of an organization
- deep knowledge of how an IT infrastructure is organized and what components it traditionally comprises of
- a good understanding of the support architecture of an IT infrastructure, such as backup, issue tracking and configuration management
Upon successful completion of the course, the student can:
- analyze an IT infrastructure with regard to its components and their purpose
- apply feature analysis in order to rank alternative components relative to their purpose
- organize the flow of tasks in an operations team
- propose ways to measure the performance of an operations team
- can leverage IaaS (cloud computing and virtual infrastructures) to provide systems, network and storage components to users
- utilize infrastructure support services in order to leverage system deployment to users
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- discuss the role of system administration in an organization and society at large
- analyze how operations can interface with the rest of an organization in order to improve overall proficiency
Topics covered in this course:
- Operations and relevance to organizational change
- Cloud deployment
- Configuration management
- Centralized logging
- Storage clusters
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
This course will feature weekly lectures and lab work to provide both theoretical and hands- on content. Students will work in groups and complete assignments given to them. The student will supplement the lectures and lab with their own reading.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
The following required coursework must be approved before the student can take the exam:
Two assignments which include a technical setup and eport of about 5000 words.
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual written exam - 3 hours.
The exam can be appealed.
In case of failed exam or legal absence, the student may apply for a new or postponed exam. New or postponed exams are offered within a reasonable time span following the regular exam. The student is responsible for registering for a new/postponed exam within the time limits set by OsloMet. The Regulations for new or postponed examinations are available in Regulations relating to studies and examinations at OsloMet.
In the event of a resit or rescheduled exam, oral examination may be used instead. If oral exams are used for resit and rescheduled exams, the result cannot be appealed.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
No aids are permitted
Grade scale A-F.
Two internal examiners. External examiner is used periodically. .
Associate Professor Hårek Haugerud