Studieinfo emne ØASPR3100 2021 HØST
ØASPR3100 International Business Communication - Exchange students Emneplan
- Engelsk emnenavn
- International Business Communication - Exchange students
- 7.5 stp.
IBC is an advanced English course which builds on the course Professional English (3rd and/or 4th semester) at Oslo Business School. The main purpose of the course is to further develop the students' knowledge and skills in English so that they can use the language professionally at an advanced level, especially with a view to international operations. The course is cross-curricular since a large part of the syllabus is related to subjects within business and economics. It will prepare the students to deal with real and complex situations in the business world.
IBC is an advanced English course which builds on the course Professional English. A large part of the syllabus is related to topics in International Marketing and International Economics.
As this is an advanced language course, the student must have a high level of English to take it: B2 -C1.
- has an extensive vocabulary in economic/financial English
- knows the main points of grammar necessary for correct and idiomatic usage of the English language at an advanced level
- has knowledge of various cross-curricular business topics
- has knowledge of international relations, e.g. the EU, WTO, NATO and US foreign policy
- has knowledge of several issues in the international world of business and the world economy, including the economies of China and Japan
- has knowledge about globalization and its effects
- has knowledge about various different business cultures
- is familiar with some works of fiction in English
- can write professional and academic texts in English at an advanced level
- can speak fluently about a wide range of business topics and various aspects of international cooperation, economies and business cultures
- can interact well in a number of professional business situations involving people from different business cultures
- The student can understand spoken and written English used in a business context
- can use a wide range of professional vocabulary in oral and written contexts
- is able to discuss, analyse and reflect on various issues in English
- The student has developed his/her practical problem-solving skills
- has further developed his/her communicative competence in English, which includes linguistic, intercultural and strategic competencies
- can function well in a wide range of professional situations internationally
- can adapt to new situations and requirements abroad
- can apply his/her skills and knowledge of business English
- can understand English language curricula and lectures in other subjects well
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
The pedagogical approach includes:
- Lectures, group work, discussions and case studies
- Written and oral assignments
- Assignment review in class
- Student talks/presentations
- Independent study
Regular attendance and active participation in classroom activities are expected.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Exam in Professional English, at least 7.5 ECTS, or equivalent (dependent on an assessment by the course instructor).
The following assignments are obligatory:
- Two written assignments (text analysis and essay)
- An individual 7-minute oral presentation
- Participation in obligatory case
Feedback will be given on all assignments. In order to take the final exam, all obligatory assignments must be approved by the instructor. Students will be given the opportunity to re-submit obligatory assignments that have not been approved. If assignments are not approved after re-submission(s), students will not be allowed to take the exam.
Vurdering og eksamen
An individual written and oral exam will be held at the end of the autumn semester. The student gets two separate grades, one for the written and one for the oral exam, and the exams can be taken again separately. The written exam counts 53% of the final grade and the oral exam counts 47%.
Written exam (5 hours) consisting of three parts:
- an essay on business cultures and cross-cultural management
- a text for comprehension and analysis, and questions from the syllabus in English for Business Studies
- an essay on a topic from international politics, economy or culture
Oral exam (25 minutes) consisting of:
- a 7-minute presentation of an individually chosen topic on a current political, social or economic issue (PowerPoint allowed, but no manuscript)
- questioning on a topic drawn from international politics, economy or culture
- discussion of works of fiction
Both exams must be passed in order to pass the course.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
A list of reference aids allowed will be published on our website.
Letter grading A-F.
In addition to the course instructor, an external or internal examiner will be used to grade the exams.
In the written exam, a selection of at least 25% of the exam papers will be assessed by two examiners. The grades awarded to exam papers assessed by the external and internal examiner will be used to determine the level of all exam papers.