Studieinfo emne PHVIT9300 2021 HØST
PHVIT9300 Kvantitative metoder Emneplan
This course is based on PHVIT9100, Health Sciences II: Philosophy of Science, Research Ethics and Research Methodology. It takes a critical perspective of quantitative methodology related to research processes where quantitative design is relevant. The course also covers how the choice of different quantitative methods affect the quality of research. The application of different designs (cross-sectional, longitudinal, clinical trial, experimental) and advances statistical analysis (regression analysis, repeated measurement, survival analysis, power analysis) is discussed.
On completion of the course, the PhD candidate has achieved the following learning outcomes, defined in terms of knowledge, skills, and general competence:
The PhD candidate
- is at the forefront of knowledge in selected quantitative methods
- is at the forefront of knowledge of selected quantitative analyses, interpretations, and forms of documentation in the field
- can evaluate the usefulness and application of different quantitative designs in health science research processes
The PhD candidate can
- plan a health science research project with relevant quantitative designs and methods
- analyse, interpret, and disseminate the results of quantitative research
- address complex scientific issues and challenge established knowledge and practice in quantitative methodology
The PhD candidate can
- argue in favour of particular quantitative approaches on the basis of scientific theory
- identify relevant ethical issues and conduct research based on quantitative methodology with professional integrity
- can participate in discussions on quantitative methodology
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Work and teaching methods consist of lectures, seminars, self-study, and practical exercises in the use of different software programmes for statistical analysis. The outcomes of the seminars are presented and discussed in plenary sessions.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
Vurdering og eksamen
Individual home examination based on specific questions. To be submitted no more than two weeks after the end of the course. Answer papers must consist of up to 3500 words.
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
Pass / Fail
One internal and one external examiner will assess the answer papers submitted by all candidates.
The course can also be offered to students who have been admitted to the "Health Science Research Programme, 60 ECTS", by prior approval from the supervisor and based on given guidelines for the research programme.