Studieinfo emne MASK3610 2021 HØST
Emneplan forMASK3610 Anvendt fluidmekanikk
The course deals with theoretical and practical aspects of applied fluid mechanics. Some of the vital topics covered are boundary layer concept, governing equations, incompressible flows, compressible flows, internal flow, external flow, dimensional analysis, and introduction to computational fluid dynamics.
The elective course is initiated provided that a sufficient number of students choose the course.
Passed the course Mathematics 1000 (MEK1000), Mathematics 2000 (MEK2000), and Physics and Chemistry (MEK1100) / Physics (MEK1400) and Mechanics (MAPE1300).
No requirements over and above the admission requirements.
After completing the course, the student is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- understands the basic concepts of fluid mechanics (such as boundary layer, continuum hypothesis, viscosity, conservational laws) and recognizes practical fluid dynamics problems.
- knows the difference between system approach and control volume approach and is able to explain the difference between Eulerian and Lagrangian description of fluid flow.
- knows how to use the fundamental governing equations of fluid dynamics - (continuity, momentum and energy equations) and is aware of its area of application.
- is capable of using dimension analysis to design prototypes of a reduced scale.
- understands the basic theoretical background of CFD and is able to perform simple CFD analysis.
- understanding of the various physical phenomena associated with the internal flow and external flow over common geometries.
The student is capable of:
- making simple calculations of velocity, pressure, temperature and shear stress for incompressible flows.
- formulating reasonable mathematical models to solve technical problems.
- calculating lift and drag forces acting on rigid bodies moving relative to a fluid.
- analyzing flow in pipes and pipeline networks and calculating energy and pressure loss.
- performing basic CFD analysis and comprehend the results of CFD.
The student must:
- be capable of using mathematical modelling and solutions to problems in fluid mechanics.
- be able to use CFD tool to solve relevant problems related to fluid flow
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures, CFD lab exercises and assignments.
Arbeidskrav og obligatoriske aktiviteter
5 of 7 compulsory assignments must be approved.
The coursework must be approved before the student can take the exam.
The tasks are delivered in Canvas.
Vurdering og eksamen
1. Portfolio (counts 50%). The portfolio consists of:
- 2 individual reports (word limit 1000-2000) based on CFD analysis of the engineering components.
2. 3 hour written exam (50%).
The exam results can be appealed.
In the event of a resit or rescheduled exam, an oral examination may be used instead. In case an oral exam is used, the examination result cannot be appealed
Hjelpemidler ved eksamen
A handheld calculator that cannot be used for wireless communication or to perform symbolic calculations. If the calculator’s internal memory can store data, the memory must be deleted before the exam. Random checks may be carried out.
Grade scale A-F.
One internal examiner. External examiners are used regularly.