Visa Deposit Account
Who can use the deposit account?
Only students from outside the EU/EEA area with a letter of admission from OsloMet can use the deposit account.
How to use the deposit account
The money must be transferred in your full name, as written in your passport. If you use sponsors, they must make sure that your full name is attached to the transfer.
- Register a new user account (sio.no) (Click on "my page menu", then on "Residence permit deposit account" and follow the instructions). When asked for a student card, just write "123456")
- Once you register, SiO will review your application and you will receive an invoice with the bank details for SiO and your customer identification number.
Please be aware that the banks involved will charge a fee for your transfer.
Receipt of your deposit
To receive a receipt you must have registered to use the deposit account and transferred the money.
It will take at least 10 working days, but SiO's Account Office will send you a receipt as soon as they receive confirmation from the bank that the deposit is complete. The timeframe depends on how quickly the banks transfer the money. Please note that SiO is not able to speed up this process.
Use the receipt from SiO, and your own receipt for the transfer, to document that you have sufficient money to cover your stay in Norway.
Submit both receipts to the Norwegian Embassy/Consulate/Visa Centre in your home country along with your application and the other required documents.
How do I access the money?
If you have deposited money to SiO's visa deposit account in connection with your residence permit/visa application, you have several options:
- If you' are going to stay in SiO accommodation, you can use the money to pay your housing deposit and rent. Please log on to SiOs MyPage to do this.
- You can obtain a temporary bank card to access a portion of the amount (NOK 20 000). This card can be used in stores and cash machines, but not online. To order a bank card, please send an e-mail to email@example.com. The card can be collected on Fridays between 13:00 and 15:00 at SiO's Accounting Office at Domus Athletica, Trimveien 4. You need to bring valid identification when you collect the cards. If you have more money left on your visa deposit account, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have them transferred to this card.
- Please note that you should still have an amount of money available to fund your first 5-6 weeks in Norway.
- You will have the (remaining) money refunded when you have a Norwegian bank account. This can take up to two months as you need a Norwegian ID number first. Once you have a bank account, please log on to SiOs MyPage (sio.no) to request a transfer of your money.
Please contact the student welfare organisation SiO if you have questions about the visa deposit account. It is SiO who provides this service, not OsloMet.