Studyinfo subject DATA3710 2022 HØST
DATA3710 IT project in practice Course description
- Course name in Norwegian
- Praktisk IT-prosjekt
- Study programme
Bachelorstudium i ingeniørfag - data / Bachelorstudium i informasjonsteknologi / Bachelorstudium i anvendt datateknologi
- 10 ECTS
- Year of study
In this course, students will complete an IT project at a relevant company, public organization or non-profit organization, either individually or in a group of up to five students. The workload for the project should correspond to two days a week over a twelve-week period during either the Spring or Autumn semester. If the project is completed in the summer, the workload should equal four days a week over a six-week period.
Students will work on a product or service that is relevant to the client(s), or develop and implement new functionality for a technology already in use by clients.
In addition to the projects on offer, students can find their own projects within a relevant company, public organization or nonprofit. In this case, it is the student's responsibility to find a supervisor for the project within the external organization. All student-initiated projects must be approved the course coordinator before the start of the project.
The elective course will only run if a sufficient number of students a registered.
Recommended preliminary courses
The course builds on computer science courses from the first year of the programme.
Required preliminary courses
No requirements over and above the admission requirements.
After completing this course, the students have the following learning outcomes, defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student should:
- Have an overview of the different phases of developing IT solutions in a company or organization
- Have an understanding business processes and organizational structures
- Understand their own role in a business or organization.
The student can:
- apply theoretical knowledge of IT development into a concrete, real problem
- plan, implement and solve practical problems connected to IT projects
- apply technical principles for developing IT solutions that can solve one or more real problems.
The student can:
- define a problem and suggest possible solutions to the problem
- understand the importance of organizational dynamics and working relationships
- practice professional communication both in writing and orally.
Teaching and learning methods
Supervision by an internal and/or external project supervisor. Students will write a report describing the project and what they have gained from participating in the project.
Projects are selected/distributed at the start of the semester.
The following work requirements are mandatory and must be approved in order to prepare for the exam:
- A compulsory Orientation Meeting at the start of the semester.
- A project outline that describes how the group will organise their work on the project.
- A standard learning agreement must be entered into between the project provider / supervisor and the student(s), and this must be approved by the course coordinator before the project can start.
- Three meeting minutes from supervisory meetings during the project period.
- An oral mid-term presentation, individual or in groups (max 5 students), 10 minutes + 5 minutes Q&A.
The deadlines for submitting the project outline and minutes of the meetings will be presented in the teaching plan, which is made available at the beginning of the semester.
Written project report (100% of the final grade).
A written project report delivered at the of the semester, individual or in groups (max 5 students), 3000 words +/-10 %.
For group projects, all members of the group receive the same grade. Under exceptional circumstances, individual grades can be assigned at the discretion of the project supervisor(s) and Head of Studies.
The exam result can be appealed.
Permitted exam materials and equipment
All aids are permitted, as long as the rules for source referencing are complied with.
Grade scale A-F.
Two internal examiners. External examiners are used regularly.