OsloMet offers a diversity of software for your studies. Microsoft Office 365 can be found for free at office.com. Other software can be downloaded for free. Some software can also be purchased to reduced prices at https://oslomet.onthehub.com.
Free software license for OsloMet students
As a student, you have access to a variety of free software, some of these are:
- Microsoft Office (office.com) – for PC/Mac, login through Office 365
- SPSS – quantitative data analysis, management and documentation
- EndNote (oslometno) – software to organize and archive references
- Matlab – for numeric calculations, simulations and visualization
- Nvivo and HyperResearch – qualitative data analysis
- f4transkript (win) and f5transkript (mac) - Transcription of audio recordings
- Nettskjema (nettskjema.no) – for surveys and registration forms
- Zoom – digital learning tool
Download licensed software from student.oslomet.no.
Other free software
Office tools, e-mail and reference management
- Lingofy (lingofy.com) (Web Interface) - free cloud service for students. For checks for spelling, style, word usage and proper names in languages Norwegian bokmål, Norwegian nynorsk and English. Registration for students.
- Thunderbird (mozilla.org) (Windows/Mac/Linux) - A free email client.
- Google Account (google.com) (Web Interface) - Create a free e-mail account, access cloud storage, produce various types of documents (Office tools), Google+ profile, YouTube profile etc.
- LibreOffice (libreoffice.org) - (Windows/Mac/Linux) - Office tools to write documents, create spreadsheets and presentations.
- Open Office (openoffice.org) (Windows/Mac) - Office tools to write documents, create spreadsheets and presentations.
Video meetings and digital lectures
Statistics and analysis
- Stata IC (stata.com) - statistical analysis and presentation software. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get access to the software.
- Autodesk (autodesk.com) - software in design, graphics, architecture, modeling, animation, etc.
- 3ds Max (autodesk.com) - 3D modelling, animation and visualization for games, film and video.
- AudoCAD (autodesk.com) (Windows) - 3D design and architecture.
- Blender (blender.org) (Windows/Mac/Linux) - 3D modelling, animation and visualization for games, film and video.
- inkscape (inkscape.org) (Windows/Mac/Linux) - Create vector graphics.
- Maya (autodesk.com) (Windows) - 3D animation, effects and modelling and architecture.
- Filesender.uninett.no - for transferring large files via browser to one/several recipients. NB! The recipient's educational institution must have permitted the use of the service.
- Cyberduck (cyberduck.ch) (Windows/Mac) - an easy file sharing application.
- Transmit (panic.com) (Mac) - file sharing application.
Maps and geology
Audio and screen recording
- Audacity - tools for creating podcasts and audio recordings.
- CamStudio - recording screen/audio and streaming tool.
- QuickTime Broadcaster (Mac) - A streaming tool.
- Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin (Windows) - A media player in Firefox browser.
- Ad-Aware (Windows)
- Avast (Windows/Mac)
- AVG (Windows, Android, Windows Phone, iOS)
- Avira (Windows)
- Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 8)
- SpyBOT Search & Destroy (Windows)
- Ubuntu (Windows/Mac/Linux) - An operating system based on the Linux kernel.
Project management tools
- 10 Free Project Management Applications (Website) - Choose among various project software/tools.
Web publishing and programming
- BlueGriffon (Windows/Mac/Linux) - Web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG. Open source, cross-platform editor based on the rendering engine of Firefox.
- Thimble (Windows/Mac) - An easy-to-use web development web application. Building websites with HTML/CSS in Firefox browser.
You can also purchase certain software to reduced prices. Visit https://oslomet.onthehub.com.
Norton Secure VPN
Norton 360 Deluxe
Install software on OsloMet equipment
Always remember to install updates to software, applications and equipment you use for your studies as soon as possible to make it difficult to exploit possible security holes.