Skip to Content

Norwegian Identity Number

You must register in the National Population Register if you are here for more than six months. This will entitle you to a Norwegian Identity Number issued 4-6 weeks after you have registered.

Students who are here less than six month

If you are here less than six months, you will  only be able to access a temporary ID number (also called a D-number).

  • You will need a work contract in order to obtain a D-Number
  • Alternatively, a bank can obtain one for you, but this is not commonly done.
  • Our office cannot help you with this proccess, for more information see here.


Students who are here more than six months

If you are here for longer than six months you can obtain a permanent ID number (also known as fødselsnummer or "birth number"). In order to do so you must register in the Norwegian population registry by reporting a move to Norway. Please bring the following to the Service Centre for Foreign Workers:

  • Residence Card (or registration certificate for EU/EEA nationals)
  • Notification of move to Norway from abroad” form.
  • Copy of your OsloMet admission letter
  • Passport (or National ID card for EU/EEA nationals)

  • Tenancy contract valid for at least six months

  • If you have a part-time job,  you can also bring your work contract to obtain a tax deduction card.

The centre is located in Schweigaardsgate 17. The building bears the name “Skatt Øst”, you do not have to book an appointment in advance. 

When you have received your Norwegian ID number, this needs to be registered in the OsloMet administration system. Please go to the Information Centre at your faculty (details at bottom of page).