The following groups of international students are guaranteed a furnished single room:
• Exchange students (bachelor and master level) admitted for studies for one or two semesters.
The following groups are guaranteed a room (not necessarily furnished)
• International students who applied to an international masters' programme (in English) who did not live in Norway by the time they submitted their application.
PhD students on exchange from partner institutions are allowed to apply, but we are unable to guarantee housing.
Please note that you are only guaranteed housing the first time you arrive. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then get guaranteed housing again.
Students not included in the housing guarantee
• International students residing in Norway at the time of application to OsloMet.
• Students who have been admitted to a programme through Samordna Opptak.
• PhD students
Type of housing
International students are guaranteed a single room.
Family or couple apartment is not included in the guarantee. There is a very high demand for family housing and we are unable to help with that process.
Three steps to getting a room
1. Apply for SiO housing as soon as possible and no later than the deadline.
The sooner you apply, the better are your chances of getting the room you want. As long as you have already applied to OsloMet, you can apply for housing.
- 31 May Autumn semester
- 31 October Spring semester
2. Choose a room
• If the room you want is not available when you apply, choose the room anyway. It may be available by the time you arrive to Oslo
• Select 2 January or 1 August as your moving in date
• Select more than one student house (if your first choice has no availability, your second, third or sixth choice might
• Under “Social Security Number” you must fill in your date of birth in the format of DDMMYY
• Family/couples housing is not included in the guarantee
3. SiO will only give you one offer. Accept it.
• You will receive an e-mail confirming that your application is registered including what SiO calls a "Personal Identity Number" (this can take a few days to process after you have applied)
• Use this temporary personal identity number to register as a new user in SiOs MyPage
• You will also receive an e-mail after you have been allocated housing with a housing offer, which you will need to accept
Even if what SiO offers is not what you initially wanted, please accept it as you will only receive one offer. It is better to apply for internal moving after you have arrived in Oslo, than to take the risk of arriving with no accommodation option.
Still have questions? check our F.A.Q.